Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS entries disappearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

muosman

Technical User
Jul 18, 2003
GB
Has anyone experienced having DNS entries disappearing we have 4 2003 DC's and keep having to add a entries for are local intranet as it keeps disappearing. Anyhelp welcome

\\muos o(-_-)o

Have u checked your DNS scavenging settings to see how often records are deleted

Thanks for the pointer to scavenging settings they are not set are they best to be?

I’ve been looking at the DNS on all the DC’s on this site and this is what I’ve found.

There are 2 DC’s at the main site server1 and server2 they both have the same DNS records and have the entry for the local internet.

When I look at the external sites of which there are 3 the entry for the local internet is not in any the forward lookup zone within DNS on there servers. I can see it entry in the reverse zone of all external site but not in the forward lookup zones WHY!!

I have tried a to replicate now but nothing happens

Any help welcome

\\muos o(-_-)o

Do you have your dns set to query wins? That could cause the problem.

Glen A. Johnson
If you like fun and sun, check out Tek-Tips Florida Forum
Don't forget to Buckle up. It works.

Glen could you expain a bit more please?

\\muos o(-_-)o

Are the dns entries disappearing in Active Directory? This might be the cause. Need just a little more detail.

I am also having the same issue. I have SERVERS, which have STATIC ip addresses, and who's records are either added when the server is created OR I have manually put the record in DNS, are arbitrarily being deleted. I do not use the DNS/WINS feature, so its not that. There is no consistency or reasoning that is similar. Any thoughts?

Also, I forgot to put in my post, that I have a Win2K3 AD Domain, and the DNS servers are on the Domain Controllers.

Select the DNS Server in the DNS utility and Right Click. Select the Update Server Data Files.

Seems there is an issue with the changes being cached and overwritten by the other AD servers replicating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back