Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfk8680

Technical User
Dec 20, 2002
NL
Hi,

I am designing a DNS structure for my company. For as far as I know there are two secure, desireable desgin options:

Split brain DNS
Same internal/external name. ISP hosts the external DNS zone, my LAN DNS servers host the internal zone.

Different internal/external names
ISP hosts the .com domain, my LAN DNS servers host the .local domain.

I would like to here some pros and cons for each design option!

thanks...

Jeffrey

Split brain is my favourite design too but I would like to hear why you'd go for split brain (or different domain names method for that matter).

The only con I can think of with the 'different internal/external domains' approach is that you'd have to register the local domain name too which brings extra costs along.

The con I can think of with split brain is that the (and maybe other records) has to be added to the internal DNS zone in order to make them available to the internal clients.

Are there any other pros and cons which I am missing????

Jeffrey

Split brain is my favourite design too but I would like to hear why you'd go for split brain (or different domain names method for that matter).
The whole reason I like split brain is the fact that you don't have to have a different domain name. Instead of company.com and company.local to resolve your dns, splitbrain allows you to use company.com, but filter what the outside world can see of your local network. The biggest con I can think of is if you want to pay your isp to handle your dns, or do it yourself. I've not set it up myself, but it looks like you really need to know your dns. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
"Give the laziest man the hardest job and he'll find the easiest way to do it."

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back