Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS configuration under TCP/IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hungster

IS-IT--Management
Mar 6, 2001
CA
After installing DNS on my DC controller
how should i configure my dns entry under TCP/IP
under Advanced tab > DNS tab, near the bottom

Should i entry my anything under the
DNS Suffix for this Connection BOX
and also two more setting under it
"Register this connection's addresses in DNS"
"Use this Connection's DNS suffix in DNS registration"

if i do, i have all kinds of error showing up in event log

A DC should always point to itself or another DC in the domain for DNS resolution. Those DNS servers should be set to forward requests they can't answer to the external DNS resolver (ISP's DNS). This will allow the local 2K servers and workstations to register their records in the local DNS. (This is why you have DNS events). In DNS mmc, right click on the server name and select properties, select the forwarders tab. Check the forwarders box. Enter the ISP's DNS addresses. Restart DNS. If the checkbox is grayed, then there exists a root folder under the domain name. It is designated by a "." folder. Delete the root folder and restart DNS. Refresh the DNS mmc. Wait 20 seconds and repeat the proceedure above.

Seizure,

where is DNS mmc, under DNS Server configuration itself ?

Hung

Yes - Administrative Tools - DNS. Once your DNS server is set properly, you can change the IP config on all the machines in the domain to point to it for DNS. They can then register their records properly and you won't get all those DNS events in the log. Also you will notice that machines will logon quickly to the domain, and machines can join the domain without locator problems.

Jim

the problem i have is under the local DNS on the server itself, i got a warning where it said the DNS is not configure under local machine on the server itself

You need to register the server in DNS and poin tto itself as DNS server Vince Grice
vgrice@hotmail.com
MCSE Win2K, NT; MCSA; MCP+I
favicon.ico

I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow.
- Woodrow Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back