Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS and domain names

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcusWendel

Technical User
Feb 22, 2002
SE
This is probably a very simple question but as I've not worked with the DNS in Windows before I'm a bit lost.
How can I add a web domain name (subdomain.domain.com) to the DNS? I need this as the computers on our network need to use an internal ip-address to the servers in question and not the one found in the regular DNS-servers on the web.

They need to use the external one when connecting from the outside, that means that the hosts-file is not a good option.

Thanks in advance.

/Marcus

Simply add a CNAME pointing to the server which hosts the web application.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

I am going to take a guess and say that your AD Domain is the same as your public domain name. Is the server in question your web server?

If so then just create a hosts entry called point it to the internal IP of your server.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back