Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS and DHCP question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattWray

Technical User
Nov 2, 2001
US
I have a Win2K server running a small network connected thru a hub to a DSL router. Currently my network pulls its IPs and DNS settings from the ISP. This, I think, is causing me trouble in trying to manage the clients from the server. Is it possible for the server to get ISP DNS and IPs, but have the network get their setting from the DC?
This is not a big issue, but its been bugging me.

Thanks!

Matt Wray
CCNA

What kinda DLS do you have?
If your using ADSL then i think you cannot do this on your own.

If you have a portforwarder on the router, then you can do this the way you want to do (using your own server and make the clients get all info from it).

The best think you culd do, it to pick up the phone, and call your ISP (they won't bite you.. but many isp has stupid phonegirls that doesn't know what they are talking about), so Call your ISP and ask for a "Network Engineer" That guy will answer all your questions.

If your looking for something and you can't find what your looking for, try searching where you think you won't find what your looking for.

Thanks Kupo. We are using ADSL. I'll try giving them a call, but in the past I've been told "We don't support that". Haven't tried the Network Engineer thing though.

Matt WRay

It is unlikly that your Isp will provide Ip configs for your network. The choices you have are, replace your hub with a router(linksy's..)or use your W2k server as a router. To use your server as a router you must install 2 nic's, one for your public connection (internet) and one for your private network (intranet). Connect your modem to your public nic and your hub to your private nic. You will have two choices to share your internet connection,internet connection sharing (ICS)or NAT,depending on your needs. With ICS you can have up to 10 hosts on your network and it will automaticly do your Ip configs. With Nat you can have up to 253 hosts per subnet, it's routable and you can use your own privrate address range or let Nat do it for you. Nat also lets you use special ports (port forwarding)but does not have nat editors for MSN Messanger File transfer or video, and a few other protocols. If Ics or Nat doesn't do the trick for you, pick up a Linxys router or install a proxy software.

Thanks Tertone!
Makes perfect sense now, I don't know why I wasn't seeing that solution-router. The router we have is a caymen 4 port provided by the ISP. We are running 8 machines, is it possible to set up the caymen to provide NAT or is it a better idea to get a new SOHO router?

Matt Wray
CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back