Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS advice on migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilpadrino

MIS
Feb 14, 2001
US
I do not have my own DNS server for any of 3 NT domains. So when each NT domain is upgraded, and the DNS server is created, do the existing domain names change, or remain the same?

For example, are Domain1, Domain2, and Domain3 changed with the DNS server to Domain1.com, Domain2.com, and Domain3.com?

The second question is since these 3 NT domains are currently trusted, should I create a forest or just a tree? I understand that the first win2k PDC is the beginning of either structure.

No. Domain1...2...3 - is a NetBIOS domain name. domain1.com...domain2.com - is a FQDN. During AD installation just make sure that you wrote the right Domain NetBIOS name (as was before)
in w2k netbios domain name CAN be different from same domain FQDN. Althrough it is not recommended.
2. Win2k AD can not exist without Forest. First DC will have all the FSMQ roles automatically. So, create a new domain tree in a new forest.

Victor K
psas@canada.com
MCSE+I;MCSA;MCSE(w2k);CNE(5.1);CNE(6);CIWSP;CIWSA;Net+;CCNA

Agreed on the migration to one domain. You'll find that you can use organizational units in Active Directory to perform basically the same functional division you had under multiple NT domains but now contained into a single domain.

thanks for the feedback. sounds more complicated to me, each of three domains has its own email server. also these domains represent 3 different companies who are not connected via high speed, and have their own networks, servers, and internet circuits. politically, it's nice to have seperate networks.

domain1 - domain2 connected by fiber (well i guess this is fast)
domain2 - domain3 connected by 256K

If i did create only one domain, i can change the netbios domain name during the upgrade to win2k or does it have to remain the same? also all netbios domain names' corresponding FQDN are owned by someone else.

The slow links would not be a problem. When setting up your replication, you can designate off times to replicate, early in the morning, lunch and evening, for example. When you say that the FQDNs are owned by someone else, are you talking about your Internet presence?
A little clarification please...

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

I would go for a single domain much easier to manage and have different OU's for each company and deligate control for each company to the local admins on each site. I agree with setting up different times for replication just make sure you have a DNS server and AD controller on each remote site so that your network runs smoothly. The slow links should not be a problem aslong as you replicate and times when your network is not so busy.

Our internet presence, ie web pages, are under different domain names. If I look up the netbios FQDN, they are in use by some other company.

I am the admin for all sites. There are no other site admins, we are not that large.

Using the above variables, would this make sense...

First company upgrade for Domain1 would be the root.
Second company upgrade for Domain2 would be Domain2.Domain1.
Third company upgrade for Domain3 would be Domain3.Domain1.

Can I get by with having DNS servers at each company, but not remote sites under each domain? Again, we are not that large.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back