Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS - adding a bunch of records

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcoulter

MIS
Jan 5, 2001
US
Win NT 4.0 -
DNS is already installed and running, however I need to add a bunch of records to the existing DNS. Do you know of a way to add a bunch of records without having to key individual hosts in DNS Manager? (concatenation of a flat file to the DNS). Thanks.

stop DNS service,
go to %systemroot%\dns

edit the .dns file that corresponds with your domain,
add records,
start dns service and they should be there

(only do this on your primary dns server..., and take a backup before you begin)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be
*:->* Did this post help? Click below to let me know !

Peter,
thank you for the info. I'll give it a try, but I do have concern about the reverse lookup records. I assume it will be necessary to update the in-addr.arpa file with the new reverse entries, too. Is that correct?
Regards,
Pam

yes that is correct ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Hi Peter,
thanks once again for your assistance. I have another question. In the in-addr.arpa file, some entries made via DNS manager gui show these entries:
100.12.155 PTR hio0012.router.cccd.com.
PTR h00012-router.cccd.com.
110.12.155 PTR hio0012.isp.cccd.com.
PTR h00012t001.cccd.com.
120.12.155 PTR hio012-prt.cccd.com.
PTR h00012r001.cccd.com.
It seems that an ipaddress that has multiple aliases appears on the list with blanks in the address field. I want to add a bunch of records to the dns (dns & in-addr.arpa file) without using the gui. The above entries make me wonder how to add records. Do I just key the ipaddress (reverse 3 octets) for all records, and when the dns is restarted it changes dups to blanks as above?
If I append the in-addr.arpa file, does the dns restart load the file into a database (that is to say the record sequence doesn't matter, because the dns loads it to the database)?

Thanks in advance,
Pam

you'll have to create the blanks yourself... the DNS service will not create blanks.... ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Thanks again. So if I'm reading this correctly, I have to insert the records in the correct order to the file?

yes... that's what I meant... good luck ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back