Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS 4.0 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharb

Technical User
Jul 24, 2001
TR
I have installed DNS server, and I can lookup Names fine but when I try the IP address for revers lookup it gives me an error that the DNS server is unknow but it shows the IP address of the DNS.
Also when I type nslookup at the Dos prompt, it says the DNS server is unknown and can not find name for IP address.

Thanks

Hi

Is this Across your LAN/Wan/Web and are you running WINS ?

You'll need wins for the PC names.

Tesh

no, this is in a test envirenment. I have 5 pc,s.
One of the is configured as NT Server and the other ones are NT Workstation. I have configured Wins and DNS on the server. I can do lookup base on name but not IP address and the other problem I have is when I try nslookup at the Dos prompt, it should show the default DNS server name and IP address, but instead it gives me an error that can not find the default server name.
Thanks

Dumb question, but do you have your reverse lookup zone setup correctly? One of the articles I found online to walk me through setting it up actually had me set it up incorrectly.

Correct setup should be:

For subnet aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd (192.168.1.0)
ccc.bbb.aaa.in-addr.arpa (1.168.192.in-addr.arpa)

Another thing to try would be to go to the zone properties for the reverse lookup zone and go to the WINS reverse lookup. Enable "Use Reverse WINS Lookup" and enter in your DNS Host Domain "mydomain.com". That did it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back