Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNIS length change help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 14, 2002
US
We currently have a G3R, release 9.5 and need to increase from 4 to 6 digit DNIS.

I know how to change the dialplan, but I didn't know if the PRI's will need any modifications AND/OR if the PRI's will allow both 4 and 6 digit DNIS' at the same time.

If anybody would care to offer any cautions or knowledge from past experiences it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

not sure if this may help or if I'm barking up the wrong tree....

have a look at page 3 of the trunk group form, this allows for incoming translations, you can specify translations for different call lengths here

Avayauser1 is correct but there is more than one way to skin this cat. You can go to your providers both Local and Long Distance, If you have a LD provider, and tell them to change the number of digits passed from them. This will only work if the 6 digits are already included in your DNIS string. For example if your digit string is 2125551212 and your current extension range is 1212 and your moving to 551212 then you make the telco do it for you. This will require you to delete all the 4 digit extensions and add the 6 digit extensions. Even Avayauser1's method require the delete and add of extensions. When I moved from 4 to 5 digit dialing Avaya did this for me. They will do a blowback change the extensions nd then reload the switch. Might be well worth the expense. But downtime is a must.

Hope this makes sense
ED

1a2 to ip I seen it all

Thanks for the info -- unfortunately, we must have zero down time. My plan is to change all DNIS from four digit in the 4,000 range to six digit in the 500,000 range. I plan to have both the old & new DNIS programmed, have our LD carrier make the change, test, then remove all 4 digit VDN's, etc. Is it possible to have both four and six digit DNIS working at the same time on one PRI?

It's up to the carrier as to what they support. I currently have 4 digit and 10 digit dnis on the same pri.

-CL

I dont beleve that you can mix and match 4 and 6 digit dial plans. The dial plan page might let you but It will cause issues on 4 digit extensions calling 6 digit extensions vicea versa.

After hours try to assign a 6 digit extension and make test calls to and from them.

I could be wrong

Thanks
ED

1a2 to ip I seen it all

Yes, you can mix dialplan lengths. We use 2000-3999, 40000-49999, 5000-8999.

-CL

You learn something new every day. I stand corrected.

Thanks
ED

1a2 to ip I seen it all

But you can't mix and match them in the Intuity!!!!!!!!! This could throw a wrench in your project.

-CL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back