Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNAT? Port forwarding on linux firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

charleshagen

IS-IT--Management
Jan 4, 2003
US
I have been told that rebuilding my kernel for DNAT is what I need to port forward to other servers inside my network.

Can someone guide me on this?

I have a RedHat 9 server acting as a firewall with a firewall script. When I try to forward port 80 to another server it fails. Someone said I need to rebuild my kernel to allow for DNAT.

Any ideas? Can someone instruct me on this?

Charles

I am trying to use RH9 as a router. I need to DNAT with IPTables script I have. It will not let me do so. Says my kernel does not support DNAT.

Sincerely,

Charles

WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH?! You haven't posted any script examples, no error codes or responses and you haven't given any port mapping examples.

Unless I'm godawful stupid, I cannot see how anyone here could help you until you do so.

iptables and subsequently dnat requires kernel modules to be loaded. Here's what my RH9 fw has:

Code:
[root@wan root]# lsmod | grep ip
ipt_LOG                 4120   2  (autoclean)
ipt_state               1048  34  (autoclean)
ipt_MASQUERADE          2072   1  (autoclean)
ipt_multiport           1144   3  (autoclean)
iptable_nat            20568   1  (autoclean) [ipt_MASQUERADE]
ip_conntrack           26120   2  (autoclean) [ipt_state ipt_MASQUERADE iptable_nat]
iptable_mangle          2712   0  (autoclean) (unused)
iptable_filter          2348   1  (autoclean)
ip_tables              14488   9  [ipt_LOG ipt_state ipt_MASQUERADE ipt_multiport iptable_nat iptable_mangle iptable_filter]

If you don't have ip_tables and iptable_nat loaded, you'll probably have problems. Mine get loaded automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back