Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DMS-E-GENERAL Error 239 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimWilliams

Programmer
Apr 28, 2003
US
I’m running Cognos Impromtpu – Administrator Version 7.1.339.0. I use Impromptu as a front end to a Costpoint (accounting/HR system) database running on Oracle.

I’ve written a report which looks at timesheet data (the table TS_LN) and classifies our indirect labor into a bunch of different categories. The filter is pretty basic, my if statements inside my calculations aren’t that bad (I have reports with allot more complex if statements) and about the only function I use is Left.

I’ve written this report twice. The report works great until I close Cognos and reopen the report. Then I get an error message:

Error Number -239:

DMS-E-GENERAL, A general exception has occurred during operation ‘prepare request with options’.

DMS-E-RGE_FNC_NOT_AVAIL. The function decode is not available as an external, database or built-in function.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

James Williams

LOok in your impromptu.ini file under cer3/bin and do you see this? If not, you might want to add the last line here to see if it makes a difference.
Important, Note that in 7.1.529 you don't need this extra line in your impromptu.ini file any longer. Therefore, keep a copy of the original ini file for your records.

[Query Options]
min free disk space=0
Use automatic Oracle Decode=0

CP [cook]

Thanks!!! That did the trick.

Two questions. What exactly is Automatic Decode? And why didn't my report bomb when I created it instead of only when I reran it?

I ran into a problem with Impromtpu 7.0 and Oracle 8.i where I had to change the following parameter in the cogdmor.ini file for the specific Oracle verstion:

[Exceptions General ORACLE8.1]
Case_To_Decode=F

This solved a problem where Impromtpu was displaying anything to the left of the decimal:
ex: 1.25 = 1, 0.40 = 0 etc...

I have now moved to Oracle 9.2 and there doesn't seem to be a section for this specific verstion in the ini file, so I cannot simply change it (and adding it in manually doesn't work either).

Does anyone know:
1. If Impromptu 7.x supports Oracle 9.2
2. How to fix this problem?
3. About this problem?

...Chargrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back