Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dmoz not listing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tina2002

Technical User
Jan 5, 2002
CA
I'm having a bit of trouble getting listed in dmoz - I emailed the editor of the category over a week ago....
how long on average does it take to have an editor answer?
Does anyone know if I should just wait or do something else?

Thanks

I'm not sure how long it takes for an editor to answer an emails, but as a rough guide you should give it 15 days before your site gets listed in search engines and directories. Adam

PC-Tek Forum

Adam,

I don't know where you get that figure from but that in nowhere close to how long you should wait to get your site listed.

To get a site listed in a search engine or directory could take anything from less than 1 day to over 6 months.

Tina

I guess you are still having the same problem then, I remeber your previous post on this topic.

Could you provide a url to the page that you are trying to get listed? We may be able to point out some of the reasons why an engine or directory would not list you.

Hope this helps Wullie

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change.
The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

Sometimes a particular category may not have an editor or they might not be paying much attention to their category. If after several weeks you have no luck, submit your site to a different category. Sites often fit well into more than one category anyway.

A lot of the search engines I use say it can take up to 15 days to process a site... that's where I got my figure from, but I know from past experience it can take longer... in my experience though I've never had to wait 6 months. Adam

PC-Tek Forum

As it's human edited it will depend on the editor!
I got a site listed in less than 12 hours then when I changed the URL the editor updated said url in under 4 hours after I sent an email!

I would say give it 21 days and if nothing try again or go up in the chain of command if that's possible?

É
::

I'm going to submit a couple of sites soon, I just want to know...although they say to submit to only one category, lots of the SEO articles I've read say to submit to more than one if your site contains more than one category. What should I do?

Thanks,
Rick -----------------------------------------------------------

Submit to more than one especially if the categories are very different from each other.
I have submitted 3-4 to Dmoz (genealogy, sports, CSS)

É

Hi guys,

Going by the DMOZ guidelines:

Identify the single best category for your site. The Open Directory has an enormous array of subjects to choose from. You should submit a site to the single most relevant category.

Tina

If a site you submitted has not been listed after three weeks, you may submit it again or you may send an e-mail to an editor of the category for which the site was submitted.

Hope this helps Wullie

In this case, it's the website that I will be submitting. This has a full music section, and eventually the music will be three sections (sheet music, guitar chords, audio files). It also has a store, a message boards, a small but growing drama section, and soon will have a sermons section. I could stick the whole site under something like Christianity -> Arabic. But would it be ok to submit more like:
Christianity -> Music -> Arabic
Christianity -> Drama -> Arabic
Business -> Online Stores

I have heard both Cian's opinion, and I have seen the paragraphs that Wullie quoted. What I'm saying is, do I need to listen to the one section thing, or is this site qualified to be submitted to more than one section?

Thanks,
Rick -----------------------------------------------------------

Hi mate,

I am not saying that they won't accept multiple submissions, but I am quoting the submission guidelines for DMOZ, whether you listen to them or not is up to you, but you run the risk of getting an editor that follows the guidelines removing your site.

Hope this helps Wullie

In the case of Arabchurch i'd only submit it to one site. In my case I submitted it to some VERY different categories.

É

Tina,

If you have not heard anything back from the editor you can try posting a request in DMOZ's site submission status forum
I have been trying to get my site listed in DMOZ as well and I received an update on my site status the same day that I posted.

Also, as far as being able to submit to multiple categories, DMOZ says to pick the best category and to only submit your site to that category. But the editor that replied to my site status post, said that a site may be listed in 2 places within the directory. In the category that it best fits and in the appropriate Regional category.

Hope this help,
-Corrine Studio6 Designs

Speaking (unofficially) as a DMOZ editor I'll try to address some of these points. The most important thing to remember about DMOZ is that it is entirely volunteer-driven. People volunteer to edit categories in their spare time - so the time taken to get your site onto the directory will vary wildly from category to category, depending on the commitment and availability of the editor(s) concerned. A gentle prompt by email (after giving them a couple of weeks) may get results - but I'm afraid there are no guarantees. Your site WILL get listed eventually though, as editors from further up the directory tree try to keep down the number of unreviewed sites.

As far as multiple submissions go, general advice is "Don't", at least not initially. The editing screens show when a site already appears in another category, an editor might reject a submission from their category if they see it's already listed elsewhere - so submit in your most favoured category first. Multiple listings are sometimes appropriate - if your site is available in multiple languages (not just through Babel Fish) you could submit it to parallel categories in World/..., if your site is specific to a particular location you could submit it to Regional/... as well as a "topical" category.

If your site contains a substantial subsection relevant to another category, consider submitting a "deeplink" *to that subsection* to the other category. Concentrate on your main listing first though. Don't go mad with deeplinks, or editors will decide you're spamming the directory.

Regular visitors, and contributors to tek-tips might want to consider volunteering as an editor - either in a Technical category or something completely different. See for details -- Chris Hunt
Extra Connections Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back