Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DMAX on form question

Status
Not open for further replies.

punky001

Programmer
Oct 1, 2007
US
I have an issue with an old database I inherited. I have updated to Access 2007 front-end and moved the back-end to SQL.
The field in question is called “Number” with field type of Int. This field is populated from the form based on the following calc:
=DMax("[Number]","[RequiredReportTable]","[ContractNumber] =" & [Forms]![AddRequiredReportForm]![ContractNumber])+1
The table – RequiredReportTable – has a number of different Contract numbers. Each time a record is added for a specific contract nr – the “Number” field should increase by 1 – only for that contract nr. This works most of the time – but sometimes it skips numbers – which means it appears as though records may have been deleted.
I can’t figure out why it is skipping numbers. Can anyone help? Is there a better way to do this?

Because there may be numerous contract nrs - each contract nr would start over at 1

Got way more than ya need there.

=DMax("[ContractNumber]","[RequiredReportTable]")+1 is all ya need!

That is the value you want to set the record to.

I'm not sure I understand one point. Are you using this as a count field, sort of keeping running tabs on how many records are in play, or are you uing it to generate a count, once, to set the ID number of a record?

I ask, because seeing the +1 at the end would not be useful for a count, but it would be for setting the next consecutive ID number.

Thanks MacroScope....It's being used as an "autonumber" for records for each contract.
Example:
cont 1234 = Last RecNr = 100 - Next RecNr = 101
cont 3333 = Last Rec Nr = 850 - Next RecNr = 851

I don't know what the cont 1234 might be, but it's irrelevant. You're looking for the maximum number in a domain and incrementing it by one. That's =DMax("[ContractNumber]","[RequiredReportTable]")+1 is all ya need!

Macroscope - the OP needs the where portion.

punk001 - can you give a little more information about the problem you're having? Looks like the code you have should work.

Randy

Hey Randy007....

Here's the original:
=DMax("[Number]","[RequiredReportTable]","[ContractNumber] =" & [Forms]![AddRequiredReportForm]![ContractNumber])+1

It hit me that "Number" is a reserved word and should not be used as a field name - so I changed the name to "RRNumber". So far....it has worked correctly.

I'm not sure if that was it or not - I'm still testing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back