Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DMA BUFFER SETTING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Impediment

Technical User
Mar 11, 2001
US
I have looked through all my computer books and can not find anything on DMA Buffer settings. I put 512 mb ECC memory in my computer and have been making changes to my vcache and virtual memory settings in order to get all my memory to work. Is this DMA Buffer setting something I should be concerned with?

You can allocate more memory and specifically assign address ranges by doing so. Unless you are running Linux on your home system I wouldn't bother with it. If you are running windows it's going to optimize it anyway.

If you are using windows 98 download some "SMALL" memory management programs that are NOT TSR's. The memory leaks in 98 can be a little nasty. If you are trying to get everything out of the system you can for high frame rates, or whatever you are after, a memory cleaner and optimizer would be a great tool for you.

For more optimization kill your config.sys and autoexec.bat. Use a basic color desktop with no sounds. Increase your performance settings to File Server. And FULLY reduce your CD-ROM buffer settings.

That should be some good tweaking on your system and max out your memory and make it great for gaming or rendering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back