Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DLT8000 - which SCSI card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dax702

Technical User
Aug 8, 2006
US
I've been informed that the new DLT 8000 I bought on ebay has a 68-pin connector, he said it also says " TH8BF, SCSI Fast Wide-DIFF" I called adaptec to ask which card they recommend and they said 29320lpe or 29320a. These cards are $100+. I saw in another thread on here 3 years ago someone had the same question as me and was asking about the 2940W or 2940UW. These are I guess older, and very inexpensive.

Can anyone here tell me which SCSI card to buy? I know the most expensive doesn't always mean the best. I simply want something that is compatible with the DLT 8000 and Adobe Encore DVD, which is my DVD authoring application.

Thanks!

Best would be to verify controller support on the drive documentation - since SCSI controllers need to comply with the standards, there isn't really that much diffence between them, however when you contact a reseller to purchase a suitable controller all they will offer is 'current controllers' and no point in arguing the need for an Ultra320 controller for a scsi wide device - like putting race car tyres on a shopping cart!

In theory all you need from the controller is a standard 68 port scsi wide connector (just make sure the controller is a LVD/SE version - HVD controllers have an annoying habbit of puting LVD devices on fire :| ).

So to conclude - a 2940uw controller will work fine (and will probably cost you 10-15$) on your DLT8000. The only reason to consider a more powerful controller is, if you know you will install a more demanding tape drive in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back