Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DLT vs AIT

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantislee

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2000
US
Researching company's new Backup solution. Looking for a few opinions on Quantum DLT's vs Sony's AIT format. Major points that I know now:

1. AIT is faster
2. AIT is cheaper
3. DLT has a proven record for reliablity
4. In reference to #3 this proven record has been proven for years and years now (time for new technology?)

Any opinions are appricated.
Thanks, Mantislee
Systems Administrator
mantislee@yahoo.com

AIT seems to be better, also the new AIT-3. We were interested in the AIT3 for its speed (115GB per hour)using a Sony tape drive in a library configuration w/18 tapes.

Our need is based upon data changing every 3-4 days.

The library and drive performed flaulessly, however, none of the software vendors couls support it correctly. Both Veritas and Arcserve said they support it, however, the software did not perform as stated.

So we are left with searching and evaluating other backup solutions.

Know this thread is old but...

Just installed a Sony ait 700c on a 2.8 ghz server, with 2 gig ram. the drive is awesome. On a raid 5 partition 100gig, the drive backs up 1.2 gig per minute. The drive was on a 1.7 gig server, backup rate of 625 meg/minute.
A primary reason I purchased the Sony was the 3 warranty on drive and lifetime on tapes. With the DLTs I had a big problem with the tapes going bad or being destroyed by units which would go out of calibration.

Mantislee: You can take a look at Sony's presales website:

This sight is VERY helpful!

Technome: None of the Sony storage devices are supported on a RAID controller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just an FYI.

"Astra non mentiuntur"

Never said I had it on a raid adapter.!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back