Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DLT vs AIT

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantislee

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2000
US
Researching company's new Backup solution. Looking for a few opinions on Quantum DLT's vs Sony's AIT format. Major points that I know now:

1. AIT is faster
2. AIT is cheaper
3. DLT has a proven record for reliablity
4. In reference to #3 this proven record has been proven for years and years now (time for new technology?)

Any opinions are appricated.
Thanks, Mantislee
Systems Administrator
mantislee@yahoo.com

I've been using DLT for about 3 - 4 years now and am thinking about moving to AIT-3 when it appears (3rd quarter I think).

Main reasons for switching over are speed and capacity of the indvidual cartridges. As usual my backup window is getting tighter.

I haven't made a final decision yet, but will wait and see what AIT-3 offers.

Hope this helps

David

AIT definitely gets my vote (and I've been designing backup solutions for Fortune 1000 companies for over ten years).

Sony has a rock solid unit with a 2% AFR (annual failuring rating). Quantum is at 11%.

I could go on and on about the differences. There are some major ones pro-Sony. E-mail me if you'd like more technical information.

AIT is a great technology with a proven history. Also don't leave out LTO--It's new but has tons of advantages over DLT and AIT.

Email me if you have specific questions--I work for a company that uses several drive technologies in our products.

Thanks!

Jake

jake.snider@adic.com

I've used DLT, AIT and now LTO. DLT was to computers what Henry Ford was to transportation.

Now, AIT and LTO are on the scene. They are somewhat niche drives though (no flame wars please). I would not purchase an AIT or LTO drive for a small environment. Emphasis on "somewhat".

We have 200GB on a single LTO drive, and previously we fit 130GB on an AIT-2 tape. Now, Super-DLT is on the scene as well. Sony has projected AIT technology out to AIT-6. LTO is out to AIT-4. Generally, Quantum runs behind on DLT iterations.

Regards, Bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back