Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DLT Compression and Brightstor v9

Status
Not open for further replies.

baf879

IS-IT--Management
Jan 22, 2004
US
I have Brightstor v9 running on a Windows NT 4.0 Server with a Compaq 20/40 DLT drive. The backup job I'm running has a total of about 27 GB of data.
In Brightstor, when I click the device and then "Compression" a message pops up saying "Do you want to DISABLE compression on this device?" (I click "No"). I'm assuming that means the drive is able to store 40GB. The problem is, the job stops at about 20 GB and prompts me to enter new media.
This doesn't make sense....has anyone else had this happen?

That would be an indication of the compression being enabled.

40gb is theory not fact, it depends on the type of data. Zip, jpg, mp3, exe, dll compress little if any at all. Also lots of small files take more overhead and so use more tape.

OK, I see how that could change things. There are a lot of small files....the server holds electronic copies of all printed financial reports that encompass all departments. It goes back at least 2 or 3 years, so there are a lot of smaller files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back