Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DLT Backup problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2004
GB
We have only had this server for 5 months and in this time we have been unable to complete a full back up of any work because of the speed at which the tape drive backs up.
The tape is a HP DLT VS80 and is connected to the mother board SCSI. The raid array is working fine but we are only getting 6.33MB per Min on the back up speed.
We use arcserve to back up our information.
A simple 4gb back up is taking most of an afternoon and a full back up is taking over 3 days to complete.
Is there anyone who can tell me why this is? I have moved the Tape from SCSI 2 to 1 to see if that does anything but its still the same. I have no idea why this is happening but its very frustrating. Any Advice would be apreciated.

What's the OS?
What files are you backing up? This can happen if the files are locked by another app.

Mark

Thanks for the email but we have now managed to sort this out. It was due to the onboard scsi not being able to process the information at the correct data speed. We made an adjustment in the registry and it is backing up and an amazing speed now. Once again thanks

If it is still slow run without compression, tape spanning is no fun but _WAY_ faster backups and restores are the result!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back