Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DLT backup device

Status
Not open for further replies.

VasBert

Technical User
Oct 3, 2000
US
Hi, When I do an inventory of the tapes, it shows the cartridge labels as it should, i.e. Slot 0 = Tape 0 … Slot 12 = Tape12 respectively.
But under the devices tab it does not show the correct info under the cartridge label, i.e. it either shows Slot 5 = Tape9 or Slot 8 = <Unknown media> etc.
I do another inventory and the report shows as being correct, but the details in the devices tab are jumbled up again.

any ideas?

We use a Quantum DLT700 backup device with a 13 tape (0-12) autochanger.

Thanks

Vas

HI
I also have a Quantum DLT7000 autoloader.. I can't get the autoloader to recognize to load tapes.. I had to do it manually...
Mine comes up with Unknown media...
any solutions...

Thanks.
Elizabeth

Hi,
I have a DLT7000 with 7 tape autoloader. Operation works reasonably well except for speed. ANY network resource that gets backed up is only operating at around 20mb per min. THis is just too slow for the amount of data I have to deal with (> 100gb). Any ideas on how to increase the speed? We are using the hardware compression option.
O/S is NT 4 svc pack 6, Dell svr with 1gb RAM and dual proc. 800mhz.
Any input appreciated.
Tks
Neil

I maybe to late for you but maybe usefull for others. I'm using a 7 tape autoloader with one Quantum DLT 7000 Drive and I can have a way faster speed than that. The Autoloader is ADIC attach to a Proliant 1500 (single 166 Mhz Pentium with 196Mb RAM) Netware 4.11 with ArcServe and I can backup at an average speed of 70 mb per minutes. I don't know how to fix your problem but I'm sure the autoloader is not the problem.

Did anybody get an answer to the first question regarding unknown media?

This is what I had to do to get the autoloader to be recognized by Veritas software

IV  (If all else fails)

1.  Stop the Backup Exec Services

2.  Assuming that Backup Exec is installed in the default directory: Browse to directory C:\program files\VERITAS\backup Exec\NT\pvl.mdb and rename this file to pvl.old by right-clicking on the file and choosing &quot;rename&quot;
NOTE: Replacing the PVL.MDB will cause the loss of all media management information, including allocation date, overwrite protection periods,  <append period> s, media set information, and media statistics.  Resetting this information will cause all tapes to be placed in the &quot;Imported Media&quot; set, and will by default have an overwrite protection period of infinite.  This procedure is not recommended unless all other troubleshooting steps have failed, and should only be performed by an experienced administrator.

3. Insert the Backup Exec CD in the CD-ROM.  Search the CD-ROM [WINNT\Utils\pvl.mdb] or install files for the file that was renamed (pvl.mdb).  Copy this file to the above directory and then remove the Read-only attribute by right-clicking on the file and choosing &quot;Properties&quot; -> uncheck the box next to the Read-only attribute.

4.  Start the Backup Exec Services.  Launch Backup Exec and check the device listing in the Devices Tab.  If the device still is not listed properly, contact Veritas Technical Support for further assistance.  

TRY THIS IT SOLVES MANY ISSUES !!!

TechNote Summary:

TechNote Title:
How to resolve Auto-Loader communication/detection issues in Backup Exec for Windows NT and Windows 2000 version 8.x
TechNote ID:
Last Updated:
September 06 2001 09:15 PM GMT

This information in this TechNote applies to:

Products:

Backup Exec for Windows NT/2000   
8.0, 8.5, 8.6, SBS 8.5

Subject:
Equipment - Configuration
Equipment - Device Management
Equipment - How To
Equipment - Installation
Equipment - Robotic Library Support
Languages:
English
Operating Systems:

Windows 2000 Professional   
Windows 2000 Server   
Windows NT   
4.0 Serv SP4, 4.0 Serv SP5, 4.0 Serv SP6a, 4.0 Wkst SP4, 4.0 Wkst SP5, 4.0 Wkst SP6a

VERITAS Software, 1600 Plymouth Street, Mountain View, California 94043

World Wide Web: Tech Support Web: E-Mail for Classic VERITAS Products: support@veritas.com
E-Mail for Classic Seagate Software Products: helpdesk@support.veritas.com
FTP:ftp://ftp.support.veritas.com or

THE INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THE VERITAS SOFTWARE KNOWLEDGE BASE IS PROVIDED &quot;AS IS&quot; WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. VERITAS SOFTWARE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IN NO EVENT SHALL VERITAS SOFTWARE OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, LOSS OF BUSINESS PROFITS OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, EVEN IF VERITAS SOFTWARE OR ITS SUPPLIERS HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES SO THE FOREGOING LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY.

Actually the solution was much simplier but many thanks for your advise. I will keep your recommendation in my knowledge base.... you never know.

But on to my fix, basically I justed downloaded the latest Quantum drives for my DLT7000, stopped all Backup Exec services; loaded new drives; disabled all devices and drives within Removable Storage; restarted services and kicked off Backup Exec and re-inventory.

Thats it!!!!

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back