Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DLookup in Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spott

Technical User
Mar 11, 2002
US
I'm trying to return all active training records in a query. Trainer's name needs to show up. Trainer is listed as emp_id number and I'm trying to reference their name to show up. If no trainer is listed the active record doesn't show up in my current query. I need those to show up too.

My attempt at DLookup is:
TrainerName: DLookUp("[Name]","[Active Employee Query]","[trn_emp2class]![trainer]"="[Active Employee Query]![emp_id]")

I've tried several variations so far, all the active records show up, but no trainer names are displayed. No error messages.

Thanks for any help![morning]

This is correct assuming the [emd_id] is numeric:

TrainerName: DLookUp("[Name]","Active Employee Query","[trn_emp2class].[trainer]=" & [emp_id])

If it's a string, this is correct:

TrainerName: DLookUp("[Name]","Active Employee Query","[trn_emp2class].[trainer]='" & [emp_id] & "'")

The name of the query is not used. However, if there are multiple tables in the query using the field name you are referencing, you'll need to use [tablename].[fieldname].

Thanks Dterrie, I'm still trying to figure the dlookups out. emp_id and trainer are both numeric. I'll try these and see what happens.

I also found a rtfm solution thanks to a coworker. add "Active Employee Query" a second time (since it is joined separately to pull the trainee's name) and a one way join "trainer" to "name". Editing the join relationship to choice 2, "All records from trn_emp2class and only records from Active Employee Query_1 where joined feilds are equal."

Guess those access classes I took weren't that helpful! [glasses]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back