Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DLookUp() for Reports 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

starlitskies

Technical User
Feb 7, 2005
CA
Is there a function that works similarily to dlookup() that will extract fields from reports rather than forms?

Thanks in advance!

starlitskies
From reports, or for reports?

What are you wanting to do?

Tom

From reports for reports.

Ie. having a report that will summarize the data from all my existing reports.

starlitskies
I have never tried to do this.

However, when you say "summarize the data from all your existing reports", it would seem to me that, even if you could do it, all of the reports would have to be Open in order to do so.

Maybe somebody else knows of a way.

Tom

Starlit,

Do you mean that you want a "MEGA Report" that encompasses all the data, charts, etc from all your "Regular" reports, or are you tring to make a report that lists the reports you have in your database?

Heather

[yinyang] Floyd Innovations [yinyang]

Yes. I have report summary at the end of every report.
I'd like to create a 'mega' report that summarizes all these summaries. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Are you current reports running off of queries?

If they are, I would recomend that you make a query/several queries off of these pre-existing queries to create your "MEGA Report".

-------------------------
Just call me Captain Awesome.

Starlit,
Where do your "summaries" come from? Are they stored in a table, or calculated on the report (aka, Sum()s, Count()s, etc.).

I think Grande is on the right track...

If you can access that summary data separate from the reports, you will be able to pull it onto your MEGA report.

Heather

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

Each report contains a query as it's record source. At the end of each report, there is a summary that is calculated on the report (not stored in a table).

I'm hoping to create a MEGA report that will summarize all of these summaries.

Is there a way to link more than one query as its record source? Or would it just be easier to query the existing queries?

There are a number of methods for pulling data into a report from multiple "record soources":
[li]Use subreports as each can have their own record source[/li]
[li]Use code to open recordsets and fill in values[/li]
[li]Use domain aggregate functions like DSum()[/li]
[li]Use combo boxes which have a Row Source property[/li]

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

Starlit,

Duane is correct about the options. You might find multiple subreports the easiest to work with, but if you have a lot of complex queries backing up the recordsources, it might run a bit slow in opening, so some testing might be necessary.

Though I hate storing calculated data, if the report is running too slowly because of all the queries, you might want to run the queries to make a temp table with the various data you need, and then pull directly from that table onto your MEGA report.

That could be a good solution if:
1) Otherwise the report is too complex or too slow when being opened.
2) you can find a logical time/place to run/re-run the temp table queries that will keep the data updated.

Heather

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back