Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dlookup column on a form from a Combo Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loopyl00

Technical User
Jan 11, 2011
GB
I am trying to lookup the second column in a combo box to auto fill a form using the AfterEvent Update

Me.VendeurID = Me.PickCombo.Column(0)
Me.FirstName = Me.PickCombo.Column(2)
Me.Emailtxt = DLookup("", "[Vendeurs]", "VendeurID = " & Me.VendeurID)
Me.Equipetxt = DLookup("[equipe]", "[Vendeurs]", "VendeurID = " & Me.VendeurID)
Me.Phonetxt = DLookup("[business phone]", "[Vendeurs]", "VendeurID = " & Me.VendeurID)
Me.mobtxt = DLookup("[mobile phone]", "[Vendeurs]", "VendeurID = " & Me.VendeurID)
Me.notestxt = DLookup("[notes]", "[Vendeurs]", "VendeurID = " & Me.VendeurID)

The Me.Equipetxt is the problem. The Equipe Field on the Vendurs form is a combo box (from another table)

Equipe Table
Primary Key - auto Number
Equipe - Txt

No problem linking this into the Vendeurs table

The form however for the Me.Equipetxt box is using hte primary key, how can I get it to select the column(2) From the Equipe Field on the Vendeurs tbl?

Are you actually attempting to store values that can be looked up? For instance, is a vender email address stored in only one table and one record or are you storing it in multiple records and multiple tables?

Regarding the Equipetxt, you can use a query name rather than a table name in the domain of the DLookup().

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

All the lookups are fine apart from the Equipetxt

I think it has something to do with the fact that in the Vendeur Table the Equipe Field is Looking up from The Equipe Table,

SELECT Equipe.ID, Equipe.Equipe FROM Equipe;

With Column width 0" to hide the Primary key from the Equipe Table - so this is why I keep getting only the primary key showing when i try and call it elsewhere

I have created a query which shows successfully the VendeurID and the Equipe called [Vendeur_Equipe]

SELECT Vendeurs.VendeurID, Vendeurs.Equipe
FROM Vendeurs;

So the new lookup is

Me.Equipetxt = DLookup("equipe", "Vendeur_Equipe", "VendeurID = " & Me.VendeurID)

Still only Primary key from Equipe table showing

Regarding my tables - no - I have no duplicate information in tables

The information is only stored once using FK's and in the case of the Vendeur Equipe a lookup in the from Equipetbl into Vendeurtbl

Thank you btw- i needed to delete the relationship between the Vendeur tbl and the Equipe tbl then amended my query

it works

Is your issue resolved? If your information is only stored once then I don't understand why you need any code. For instance, the control source of the first name text box should be:
Code:
  =PickCombo.Column(2)
Displaying the values requires no code.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Yes my issue is resolved thank you

Picking the Equipe from the Combo box didn't seem to work when i tried it - it was just displaying the Primary key again for the Equipe - I believe as the Lookkup in the Vendeurs table for this field is the two columns EquipeID, Equipe with Column width set to 0

SELECT Vendeurs.VendeurID, Vendeurs.[Last Name], Vendeurs.[First Name], Vendeurs.Equipe FROM Vendeurs ORDER BY Vendeurs.VendeurID;

You'll be pleased to hear that I've reworked it all so that I'm not using a lookup in my vendeurs table any more but just a relationship between the Vendeurs tbl and Equipe tbl - it is all as it should be, nice and tidy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back