Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dll's general question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerram

Programmer
Apr 23, 2003
IE
I have got a dll that someone else wrote. I need to use it. I was told it has COM Registration stuff. What are the implications with importing this dll into VC++?
Plus I have released that my English isnt very concise and accurate when talking about dlls. Do you import a dll or link it or neither? Also when I use this dll can I avoid registering (regsrv32 etc) it if I statically link it? Any general info on dlls would be useful because I really dont know a whole lot about them.

a COM DLL make no sence to link. If you have ergistered your dll you can try to use #import directive. While compilling will be generated a .tli and a .tlh file in debug or release directory. Include the .tlh and use it.

Ion Filipski
1c.bmp

Why does it make no sense to link a COM dll?

because it is COM. I mean it does not make sence to link to your application. Your application should not load it derectly. COM dll's are loaded by COM environment when you call CoGetClassObject or CoCreateInstance by using the CLSID of the COM object exposed by your dll. COM objects can be exposed by .exe application also, not only DLL. Your application does not care if it is COM DLL or COM EXE application.

Ion Filipski
1c.bmp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back