Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DLL vs Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristof

Programmer
Jun 2, 2000
BE
Hi all,

When should I use a DLL instead of additional units?

I'm a bit reluctant to use a DLL because getting it registered on the client computers seems tough.

Any tips about this? :p

Gtz,

Kristof

I personally keep my units until i am very sure the functions in them are running perfectly. This is very helpful for debugging. When my program appears complete, I convert my units to DLL's. When many users are using your software, it is much easier to send them an updated DLL than to recompile the program (using the units). As long as the function headers remain the same, you need only replace the DLL file. Another advantage of a DLL, other developement tools, example C++, can access those function in the DLL's.

On the flip side of the argument, if you want to distribute less files with your applications you may want to stick to units as these will be compiled into you .EXE

So choose what is best for you less files or upgradability and reusability

X-) Billy H

bhogar@acxiom.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back