Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dll Version Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwardle

Programmer
Feb 11, 2002
GB
I am trying to write a little app that will check whether a dll has been registered and then, if it has, compare the version of that Dll with the latest version. If the latest Dll has not been registered, then it will be. Registering the Dll is straightforward, as is getting the version no of the latest version. But I don't know how to get the version of the Dll that is currently registered, or even if this is possible, particularly if the registered Dll has been overwritten.

Look at the VB setup project. You should be able to find it at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\Wizards\PDWizard\Setup1\ (may be different on your computer). This contains all the code that you are looking for. The checking of versions and registering of files.

Good Luck

It contains a lot of the code, but it seems to rely on knowing the location of the Dll via a setup file, or at least the path to it. But if I always register the file from the same place then it will be easier in the future. How this will work with Citrix sessions, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back