Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DLL Registration Failure - Any Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digga

Programmer
May 11, 2001
GB
Hi

I have a rather odd problem. When trying to script against cdo, I've found out that cdosys.dll isn't registered with the OS. I have tried to register cdosys.dll using regsvr32 without success, error message below:

-----------------------------------------
DLLRegisterServer in cdosys.dll failed
Return Code was 0x800704da
-----------------------------------------

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I've only found one reference to this error code on Google for a guy with the exact same problem (without a solution) on a win98 box, needless to say the error code doesn't come up at MS web site.

Thanks Guys

Digga

Sharing Knowledge Saves Valuable Time!

Hi Karmic

Thanks for the reply, I have read the top link before and it didn't help, the second one will not resolve the problem either.

Something I forgot to say is I'm running Win2K Server SP4, so installed dll's kernel32, user32, ole32 are all the SP4 version files.

Thanks again Karmic.

Digga

Hi All

I wanted to share the solution to this issue as it's not documented anywhere so far.

It appears I had a couple of problems.

Firstly, I have cdoex.dll installed, which is cdo for exchange and was installed with office xp. This cdoex.dll is a superset of the cdosys.dll and all cdo calls get automatically routed to cdoex.dll, registering this file solved the problem and highlighted another.

Secondly, the file msado15.dll wasn't registered with the os either, which is part of MDAC and was kicking back an error, funny as I installed 2.7 a week ago and it still failed to register all of the components.

Both the cdoex.dll and msado15.dll are now registered and test scripts against cdo have run successfully.

That's it for now, apart from a thank you to MS for replicating and solving this problem.

Digga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back