Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DLL Register errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatchetman

Programmer
Jul 18, 2002
US
When I run setup (created by Package & Deployment) for my app, I get the error "Error occurred while registering the file C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\Msstdfmt.dll". I also get the same error for the files tabctl32.ocx, mscomct2.ocx, and mscomctl.ocx. Also, when trying to register msstdfmt.dll using regsvr32, I get the error "DLLRegisterServer in MSSTDFMT.DLL failed. Return code was: 0x8002801c". And when trying to register OLEAUT32.DLL, the return code is 0x8007005.

I have seen threads and help that talk about permissions, but giving myself all of the permissions and giving full control to these DLL files does not seem to make a difference.

I am using VB6, SP5 on Windows 2000 Professional.

Any ideas out there?

Are all of the service packs installed? What is the difference between what is loaded on the development machine and the deployment machine? Billy Ballard

For in the past, Lies the future.

I had the same problem with NT4 and Office97 due to a defective dll from microsoft, Apparently Microsoft had deployed "comcat.dll" with a defect, depending on which software version one recieved. I ended up having to re-install MS Visual Studio, (after replacing comcat), before everything was working properly.

Thanks guys.

Delphin, if you are asking about the Studio service packs, yes I believe I installed all service packs in order. And the deployment machine is the same as the development machine! Previous versions of my app installed fine. I know, I know... What is different now? I'm not sure. Shouldn't be anything different, but apparently something is.

I am able to install on another machine (which does not have Studio loaded). Thinking about corruption, I copied those files that would not install on my machine from the good machine, without success.

Merlinx, it's interesting that you mentioned Office97 (or Office at all) when I didn't. This app uses Office interfaces, and my machine (the development machine) has Office 2000. So now I have another thing to chase. I am inclined to reinstall something soon. Perhaps both Office and Studio. Hmmm... I will check with my sys admin to see if he did anything!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back