Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dlink 614 router 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaArtist

Technical User
Feb 5, 2004
US
I am going to use the DHCP function of win2k server to give out my ip addresses on my lan. I wanted to know could this also work for my wireless pc/laptop as well? Also if this works, how would I get the pc's to log onto the internet once windows dhcp starts giving addresses??

You will have to disable the DHCP option on your router. You must configure the DHCP scope on your W2k server to hand out the IP address of the router as the Default Gateway and the IP address of the DNS servers for your ISP.

When wireless clients connect to the router they will query the DHCP server for an IP address.

Steven S.
MCSA
A+, Network+, Server+, i-Net+

ok, the workstations are getting the ip's thru WinDHCP now but cant get onto the internet (Page cant be found) mssg.
I put in the router DNS ex#192.168.2.xxx and used the same for the ISP dns or should I use the other dns for ISP instead of 192.168.2.xx??

Basically in your Windows DHCP server you need to configure the following options accordingly:

Router: IP address of router
DNS: IP address of the ISP's DNS servers

Steven S.
MCSA

Thank you!! all has helped out and everything is working. I have 1 more question since this is a test environment I am using before I go forward, I was wondering if I used 2 nic cards on the server, could I configure 1 as .local for internal and the other for .com for internet use along with adding a firewall for the 2nd nic(.com)? and just configuring DHCP on the 2nd nic or would I have to setup a another DHCP route??

Are you saying you would like to use your server as a NAT server or as a public facing web server that can be accessed from the Internet?

Steven S.
MCSA

I have a .com domain, but configured my only nic card for .local access for all internal users who can get onto the internet. What I was thinking about was adding a 2nd nic card and configure that as my .com so that users could use that nic instead of the other one to access the web and also I wanted to put a firewall on that nic as well. I have a website that is being hosted by a carrier so I wont be using a webserver(not yet) at this time. I still want the nat features of the router.

How are they accessing the web right now?

From my understanding you want to create a NAT server where you have 2 NIC cards. 1 is part of the local Intranet and one will connect to the Internet. You then want users to access the Internet by sending requests through the NIC that is connected to the Internet. If this is so, you will need to configure NAT on the RRAS of the server.

But you already have a router that provides Internet access so why do that?

Steven S.
MCSA

I was just curious about that. But on the other hand if I wanted to install a firewall like outpost,smoothwall or whatever could I use a 2nd nic for that or would it just be leave well enough alone and use the 1 nic for everything??

If you plan to use a 2nd NIC to access the Internet directly then you should use a firewall. If you plan to keep your router as your Internet connection device then it already acts as a firewall.

Steven S.
MCSA

DaArtist:

You don't need a second nic, check the specs of the d-link built-in firewall whether its satisfactory to you. If not buy a firewall box. If you want to use software firewall then either you install it to server and each workstation or only on the server with NAT and a second NIC look at the post of Anzluvsmc. Problem with this setup, server is doing the routing instead the dlink which is design primarily for routing and besides if your server is down everything is down, nobody can go to internet. This is also true with your current setup, if your server is down nobody will dish out an ip's to your workstation when their lease expires. So it's also not bad to let the router do the DHCP. Now, you really have to decide what do you want.

I have the DHCP working well and have reserved the IP's so that they are permanent. I will take the advice and add a 2nd nic to the server for software firewall (unless I can find an inexpensive hardware firewall). Yes I know the 2 evils are if I use win dhcp if the server fails then I am sol until I replace the drive (using raid 0/1)or even if the router is down user's cant get onto the net. Since this is a home environment and allows me to learn valuable technical skills, both answers have allowed me to view both scenarios to see which one I would like to use. Thanks guys!! you both have been very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back