Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DL 380 and Storagework MSA San switch- Couldn't see the drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

sillysharan

IS-IT--Management
Sep 15, 2008
US
Hi

I am new to this area. Please help me in this.

We have connected a HP DL 380 server with Windows 2003 server 64 bit version and a HP storagework MSA San Switch 2/8, which is again connected with another HP MSA 1000.

We are using HP FC2142SR 4GB PCI-e HBA as the fiber adapter card for connecting the server to SAN switch. I downloaded some driver(Emulex driver) from HP website and its working now.

But I couldn't see the drives in disk management or in my computer. Do i need to install some san management software or something like that? If so please tell me the name of that. What is the mistake I have done.

Please help me in this.

Thank You in advance

Is there any document for doing these zoning and masking? if so can you please give the link.

Thank You

If you are expecting to see every physical disk that is in the MSA as a disk on your server, then you will be disappointed . How SAN's usually work: You install a software onto some management station (server/pc), and then start configuring your luns, and export them to different hosts.If hooked up to a FC switch, you then need to configure the zoning.Normally, factory defaults allow all connections from everywhere.No zones are applied. So my guess is the config of the box with lun masking that needs to be checked out here.

THe MSA1000 relies on zoning on the EL8 switch and LUN masking at the host. Both deocs should get you there. I actually have an MSA1000 with an EL8 heating the space under the stairs.

If you have created your LUNs, by default, all WWNs are zoned. You need to set LUN masking on the host, then rescan to aquire the LUNs.

I didn't do the zoning. Thank you all for this valuable information. This forum rocks. I will ask if I have any difficulty in doing zoning.

Thanks again for all you experts.

What software should I use for doing zoning and Lun Masking.

I couldn't find the MSA drives or controller in the Array Configuration Utility software. It is showing only this "Smart Array E200", which is having the local SAS arrays of the Prolient server.

Is there any particular software which i should use in the Dl380 for configuring the Lun masking

Hi all

Finally I can find the MSA disks in ACU now. Had some driver issues.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back