Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Divide by Zero error Patch did not fix!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dretzlaf

Technical User
Dec 12, 2002
US
I have applied the Patch to my FoxPro 2.6a but it has not resolved the "Divide by Zero" error condition. App still fails to load!
This is a brand new Dell WinXP pro box.

Any further advice??

Hi dretzlaf,

In the XP computer, have you set the compatablility of this FPW application suitable. You can set it compatible to an earlier OS rather than leaving it to default. This is only a suggestion. :)

ramani :)
(Subramanian.G),FoxAcc, ramani_g@yahoo.com
Happy New Year [bigears] [party] [2thumbsup]

I've been running FPW 2.6a successfully under XP Pro without resorting to any compatibility mode for more than a year. Are you sure you applied the patch to the files you are actually running? I've often found that in the runtime environment, people may actually have multiple copies of the FOXW2600.ESL file in the path - make sure they've all been patched.

Rick

rgbean,

The "FOXW2600.ESL" file that you mention had me puzzled during the time of the installation of the patch, and it still has me puzzled. This file does not seem to be present?? I do not find it anywhere?? Help??

Duane

The FOXW2600.ESL file is used if you are using the FPW runtime. If your user is actually running in the development environment (usually an expensive alternative if you have many users), then the same comments apply to the FOXPROW.EXE file. (Look for multiple copies - fixed and unfixed!)

Rick

Note that there ate are two different "Divide By Zero" patches available out there.

DZPatch
1. 2.
Microsoft's Patch_26

One of them seems to work "better" than others.

I have attempted to use both of them at different times only to find one worked and the other did not.

The one that I have had the best luck with is the DZPatch. Try it and see if it works for you.

Good Luck, JRB-Bldr
VisionQuest Consulting
Business Analyst & CIO Consulting Services
CIOServices@yahoo.com

JRB-Bldr,
I find this a curious observation. When applied to FPW 2.6a, the resulting code files are IDENTICAL!

The only advantage to the unsupported DZPATCH, is that it will work with FPW 2.5x, 2.6 (no 'a') and most of the international editions of FPW. (In fact when I first used Andrew Forber's DZPATCH back in 1998, I found that some other applications that used the same faulty linker were also able to be fixed - most used the Borland compiler.)

Rick

I'vee also encountered this problem a few times. Our application was patched a few years back, but the Div Zero error, or a Windows 9x GPF have still popped up on occasion. The result in all cases was a corrupted DBF file. DSalvage was able to correct most of the problems. In some circumstances, a DBF with numerous blank records also caused the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back