Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Divide by Zero Error in Fox Pro 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jracle

Technical User
Feb 12, 2003
US
I have a program called Rail Data which is based on FoxPro but I don't know which version. I purchased the program in 1995. It ran under Win 98 but quit following the XP upgrade. I get a "Divide by Zero or Over Flow Error. As I have several hundred entires, I would like to see if I can get it to run.

I have tried the Microsoft Knowledge Base but need to know the version in order to get patches.

I welcome any suggestions.

It has to do with a patch for fast cpu's.

Is the application a big exe or a small exe with files such as foxproxx.esl or foxproxx.eso?

If you have the foxproxx.esx runtimes there is an solution.
Otherwise the application has to be decompiled and recompiled again in order to work.

Rob.

Please give the full filename, because that indicates the version you use....

Rob.

I will have to check tonight. Program is on my home computer

Be on guard... I've experienced this error on Win 2K systems, and would typically indicate a run-time that does not have the 2.6 to 2.6a patch... however, in one case it was erroring our on a corrupted DBF that could not be opened... in another case there was a DBF with a multitude of blank records...

Since you have read the Microsoft support page about the problem you already are moving in the correct direction.

There are 2 primary patches for the "Divide By Zero" issue.
PATCH_26.EXE
DZPATCH.EXE

I have also seen reference to some patches with different names, but the 2 above have always worked for me.

NOTE: I have had better luck with DZPATCH when PATCH_26 did not seem to do the job.

You should be able to find both programs at:

When you get them, you will need to run them from the DOS Command window (read associated instructions).

Since your Rail Data application was developed and distrubuted to you by another party, I am assuming that you have it in its compiled, executable version (EXE file).

If so, you will want to run the patch against the RailData.exe program.

Also, search your system to see if you have the Foxpro EXE and /or ESL files (such as FOXPROW.EXE, FOXW2600.ESL or FOX.EXE, FOXD2600.ESL, etc). If so, you will want to run the patch against them as well - just in case.

I have never run the patch against the .ESO file, but if you have it, make a copy of the original (for backup) and attempt to patch the file.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr
VisionQuest Consulting
Business Analyst & CIO Consulting Services
CIOServices@yahoo.com

The full file name is foxw2600.esl

Patch should work with that file - I have been using a patched version for many years without problem. Joe Halloran

Jracle,

If you want a patched version of the .esl file just let me know and I'll email it to you as a rar-archive (512 kb)

r.brioul@hccnet.nl

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back