Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DIVIDE AND MULTIPLY A FIELD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwen52

Technical User
Aug 5, 2000
US
I want to use the following expression in a form--to pull out partial taxes.<br>The form field is ADMISSION REVENUES.<br>=[ADMISSION REVENUES]/1.0825*0.0825<br>This is the expression I am working with.<br>Will Access divide and then multiply in the same field?<br>Thanks,<br>Gwen<br>

Yes, but you'll need to place parentheses in the calculation to let Access know the order of precedence.<br><br>When multiplication and division occur together in an expression, each operation is evaluated as it occurs from left to right. When addition and subtraction occur together in an expression, each operation is evaluated in order of appearance from left to right. Parentheses can be used to override the order of precedence and force some parts of an expression to be evaluated before others. Operations within parentheses are always performed before those outside. Within parentheses, however, operator precedence is maintained.<br><br>Example:<br>(2*10)+5 = 25<br>2*(10+5) = 30<br><br>I hope this make sense.<br><br>HTH<br>RDH <p>Ricky Hicks<br><a href=mailto: rdhicks@mindspring.com> rdhicks@mindspring.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back