Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Divide a lot of cell data in Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohanT

Technical User
Nov 10, 2005
SE
Hi,

I have a question that I thought would be simple, but no one has so far been able to help me:

I have a lot of research data in cells in an Excel sheet. Every single one of these cells contain values that actually should be divided by 100. (Ex: 122 is actually 1.22, 89 should be 0.89 etc). All cells are used in complicated statistical calculations and a lot of diagrams, and I rather not move them around.

So, I wonder, is there a simple way to get Excel to divide these numerical values by 100 automatically? Is a Visual Basic-script needed, if so, how should that be performed?

With best regards,

Johan Thorfinn
Sweden

Type 100 in a cell
Copy it.
Now select all the cells that need changing*.
Edit,PasteSpecial,multiply

Edit, Goto,Special will help you to avoid formulae

Hope this helps. Post back with any problems. This can be converted into code if your rrequirements are more complex.

Gavin

Gavin,

Shouldn't that be Edit, Paste Special, Divide?

Cheers,

Bob.

NOTE: if you have empty cells in your dataset and you select them before doing the Paste Special > Divide, they will be converted to zeros (Excel considers the empty cells to have a value of zero, and 0/100 = 0).

You can use Edit > Goto > Special > Constants/Formulas to avoid selecting empty cells.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

Hi,

Thanks you guys, worked perfectly.

/JOhan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back