Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

div help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwise2112

MIS
May 26, 2002
CA
I'm new to CSS layout, and am attempting to learn by converting a website done with tables to one done with divs.

I've made a page with side-by-side divs, essentially a menu on the left and content on the right.

Is there an easy way to make the left menu div to match the vertical height of the right div. The right div expands vertically, depending on amout of content and I would like the left menu div to expand with it.

not totally sure what you're trying to do. can you include code for what you've got so far?

glenn

Actually I've figured it out.

I have two columns side-by-side a left menu and right content. When I insert a large amount of content in the right column it expands vertically so it will fit, but the left column stayed as it was. I want the left column to expand vertically to match the hight of the right column.

A friend suggested I make a table and put both divs inside the table, which I believe would have worked, but the whole purpose, was to avoid using tables.

I finally made the right div the full with of the page, and placed the left menu div inside it with a height of 100%. It seems to have worked.

Thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back