Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distribution List permission

Status
Not open for further replies.

n00blar

MIS
Aug 19, 2003
US
I'm in an Exchange 2003 native mode environment.
I'm confused as to how to set permissions/security to all my distribution lists.

In Exchange 5.5 I could se the OWNER field and only the user or group especified in that field could modify (add/remove) members to this DL.

Now, in Exchange 2003, here are my questions:

1. There's a Security TAB, but what is the actual setting that sets that OWNER field the new DLs?

2. What is the actual security setting (in the Security tab) to allow only ONE person/group to take ownership of a DL? (e.g. I have several DLs that I want my admin group and some users to be able to add/remove members to it)

Thanks for your time and help.

The setting you are looking for is 'Full Control'. Create a Security Group in AD, and place the users that you want to have 'Full Control' into that group. Assign that group 'Full Control' on the appropriate DL.

Mike

Ok,what about the OWNER field in the DL properties?

I used to add a group/user in this field and only this group/user was able to add/remove users to this DL. Is this setting not used no more?

Thanks for your reply.

If you go to the "Managed By" tab on the DL you can assign a 'manager'. There is a checkbox that allows you to specify whether or now the Manager can update the membership list. This corresponds to the "owner" field that you see on the entry in the GAL. You can only assign a single user however.

Ben Christian
MCSE, MCSA:Messaging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back