Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distributing new font with a word document

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norwich

MIS
Mar 3, 2002
GB
Hi,

I have a situation whereby we need to distribute a new truetype font with a word document that is available for editing (basically, corporate fax template). Now, I've tried font embedding but that only makes the document available for viewing and printing. Can anybody think of a method to distribute or allow automatic installation?

I've even thought about using a roaming profile login script but would need administrator access.

Don't want to have to spend a day running around a office load of machines just to install a font. :)

I'm assuming that you are on a network. Try setting up a folder marked "Updates" in a place that everyone has access to. Then place the new font in that location and send an email instructing employee's how to find and install the font.

Hope this helps:)

Michele P

Thanks, but the problem is the standard win2000 user accounts do not have security access to install software - it needs to be done under an administrator account - otherwise, adding the install to the network login scripts would have been the easiest way.

Can you not just email the font to everyone as an attachment with instructions as to where to save it?

Hi,

sorry, but the system is set up with the domain administrator only being allowed to install software - which includes copying fonts into the fonts directory.

I hate to say this, Norwich. I really do.
But this is what you get when you restrict your users.
I worked for a software support desk until quite recently.
When I first started working there, virtually all clients ran Win95/98/NT4. No problems. They started running 2K, nobody has rights anymore. Couldn't even do a simple reset of Word's registry.
The inability to install a font is, IMHO, completely opposite to IT efficiency.
Thanks for letting me vent. LOL

Don't take it personal. ;)

We have the same kind of restrictions that apply. The people who do want to install apps or utilities on other systems write a batch file that changes the registry in the batch file, installs the software and changes the registry back to the way it was. If you have people knowledgeable on your staff that can do that, then you would be able to distribute your font. Otherwise, a visit to everyone's station is worth the effort if this font is important enough.

HTH

Indu

could you rename the new font to one of the ones already there but is never used and then try to copy it over, or is copying just a no-no no matter what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back