Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distributing Applications...

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeamy

Programmer
Apr 6, 2000
GB
Visit site
Hi,<br>Ive read the book VB6 Business Objects and I am going quite well. I like to see everything working so Im now trying to have my User-centric and data-centric tiers on different machines (Ive seen it working on one machine). I exported my MTS data-centric package onto the second machine and set up the dcomcnfg on the objects on the first machine to create on the second machine. This is how I expected it to work but Im getting some wierd results. Initially I thought it was working but then I realised it was still creating it on the first machine when I checked dcomcnfg all the settings seem to have set themselves back to initialise off the first machine!! This seems to happen all the time - I set it - it unsets itself.<br>What am I missing??<br>Its really starting to get on my nerves.<br>Thanks<br><br>

From my experience, I never had to mess with&nbsp;&nbsp;mess with dcomcnfig when I dealt with .dlls running on MTS. It should work without any adjustments in dcomcnfg. What OS yr clients running on 95/98/NT?

Better late than never:)<br><br>Maybe my initial posting was a bit confusing (now Ive read it again).<br>The main question is how do you distribute an MTS package over multiple machines. At the moment I have all my business objects running in MTS on one machine. What are the steps involved in moving the data-centric tier on to the database machine? I am aware that I export the package to the database machine (which also runs MTS) but how do I tell the original machine to create the data-centric object on the database machine?<br>I am working in a totally NT environment, server & clients.<br><br>Ive got a feeling that Im missing the obvious..so please excuse my stupidity<br><br>Thanks<br>

Yep your are missing the obivous!! *Laughing*<br><br>When you export from the MTS a package to the client machine it should not be nessecary to mess with the dcomcnfg! It should be set up as it is supposed to! That means that a call to<br><br>CreateObject(&quot;Server.Interface&quot;) should create the object!<br><br>If you dont export the MTS package it is done by calling<br><br>CreateObject(&quot;Server.Interface&quot;, &quot;Server Name&quot; or IP-address of server)<br><br>This should do it!<br><br>By the way!<br>Have you experienced any problems using DCOM across Domains?? I get &quot;Access Denied&quot; when I try to instantiate an object from a machine the is on another Domain than the server where the object is supposed to be created!??<br><br><br><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back