Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distributing a shortcut

Status
Not open for further replies.

vacant

Technical User
Aug 5, 2001
GB
Hello, wasn't really sure where to post this...

I've recently secured an Access database and now it's down to the IT boss to distribute a new shortcut to the users' desktops, which he intends to do by modifying a line in the login script

Previously the script worked because the database wasn't secure, and so the shortcut only consisted of a path to the single mdb file. Now it is secure, and the shortcut needs to look like this:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\MSACCESS.EXE" "T:\TimeSystem\TS.mdb" /WRKGRP "T:\TimeSystem\Secured.mdw"

I guess the copy command fails because of the multiple quotes, it is expecting 2 arguments but thinks its getting 4 or more

He's really struggling, and is sat opposite me right now cursing and muttering under his moustache. He's clearly too proud to ask anyone, so I thought I'd do it for him

Please, can someone show me how his Copy command line should read and let me have a quiet life again

put the whole multi quote string in quotes
"sdsad" "sada" "asdsad"

becomes
""sdsad" "sada" "asdsad""

Neil J Cotton
Technical Consultant
Anix Group Ltd

Thanks for looking at this

I just suggested that he simply copy the shortcut rather than seemingly trying to _create_ one as he seemed to be doing above, and rather unsurprisingly it worked

In his defence he is quite brilliant at manipulating our archaic MUMPS database, it's just all developments since then that have passed him by

Thankfully he retires next year

Why not use vbscript to actually create the shortcut instead of copying one?

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back