Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distributed Voicemail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demce0501

Technical User
Jul 11, 2013
US
I have a 5-IPO SCN Mixed versions 9.1 - 8.1 and one centralized VM Pro. I'm trying to take some of the load of the VM Pro server. I've done lots of reading about how to setup a distributed VM Pro server, but I can't get a good explanation of what it's real purpose is.

Can someone give a real world example of why anyone would use a distributed VM pro server?

Does a D-VMPro have it's own modules, or do they replicate over the way a backup VMPro does?

Thanks for the help all.

Distributed VM server is for use is an SCN to give a remote site local VM ports.
this means that any AA on the remote site is handled locally & does not have to be passed own the SCN link
it also provides some resilience should the SCN link fail.

all mailboxes are still stored on the centralised server

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

The only real difference with distributed voicemail is that the presentation of voicemail services to incoming callers, including leaving messages, happens on the voicemail server local to the IP Office receiving the call.

Everything else, including callflow design, message storage and mailbox access, remains central.

Supposedly one benefit is that, if the data links to the central are down, the IP Office using the distributed server (several can) will still be able to handle incoming calls and take messages. So there is a resiliency aspect in that.

Some customers may also be happier that a branch that does a lot more incoming call handling than others (say the sales office) has all the call processing on site.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Good answers,

Does each distributed VM server maintain it's own set of modules, or are they replicated from central?

Sorry, thought I answered that but see that I only implied rather than clearly stated.

No, the callflows are still all done centrally. Though that shouldn't be any problem since it is the separate IP Office systems that control to which callflows any call gets routed.

OK I think I get it.

sizbut, with your last answer, if I understand correctly, I have an interesting licensing question:

If IPO A is the central, and IPO B is distributed:

Call comes into IPO B, which point it to a VM module. Since no modules exist on a distributed VM system, which voicemail port licenses would the call use, IPO A or IPO B?

I think I'll have to do some experiments with this.

It, the distributed server, needs to be licensed by the IP Office system for which it is handling calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back