Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distributed Repositorys over slow links

Status
Not open for further replies.

weiser

MIS
Nov 10, 2003
GB
I currently have one master repository and clients connect to this over the LAN and WAN and update accordingly. This system has worked perfectly fine historically, however, I appreciate bandwidth could be saved over slow links if I was to setup a distributed repository and use Super Agents. In my organisation I have a number of sites with only a 2mb link speed and I was wondering what was the best way of setting up a distributed repository over there for its local clients to use? The issue I have is it will replicate the master repository, which is currently around 80mb in size, to a PC or server over a 2mb link. Is there any better way other than doing it overnight?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I have several FTP repositories accross our WAN to reduce bandwidth load. Once the repository has done a full replication once, you can then set up a task to perform incremental replications at your convenience.

If you need help doing this, just ask.

i do incrementals every night and then on a sunday i do a full replication

all my repositories are ftp on netware 6.5 servers
and some are as little as 64k links
works no probs

Thanks both - I'll have to set the initial replication of the repository overnight or at the weekend and then do incrementals nightly as suggested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back