Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distribute the FE by comparing versions 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autoeng

Technical User
Jul 16, 2002
US
I usually distribute the FE of my database via a batch file that when fired copies the FE to the users machine and then starts the database with the appropriate security workgroup. I would like to move away from the copy everytime batch file and use code to compare version of local FE to version on server and only replace when they don't match. I know I have seen how to do this somewhere but my searches have been fruitless. Can anyone point me to the correct thread?

Thanks,
Autoeng

Autoeng,

Funny, I just wrote this up last night, but I haven't been able to post it to my website yet (can't do that from work, didn't do it at home last night).

Check my web site at the end of the weekend and I'll have the full article up there.

For now, the way I do it is to use a text file named for the version of the database: BRXPVersion2.3.txt, for example. Then your batch file does this:
rem Copy a new front end if the newest version file is not present
if not exist "BrXpVersion.1.0.txt" copy "t:\BrXpFE.mdb"
if not exist "BrXpVersion.1.0.txt" copy "t:\BrXpVersion.1.0.txt"

All you have to do to force the roll out of a new version is change the name of the text file and the three references to that in your batch file.

This, of course, assumes that your users get only a shortcut to the batch file, and the batch file itself sits on your server.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace
Designing, Developing, and Deploying Access Databases Since 1995

Take a look at the Developer's section of the site for some helpful fundamentals.

Remember to reward helpful tips with the stars they deserve.

thread181-30072

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Michael,

It looks like you replace individual objects with your code (though I didn't read it too closely). Is that the case?|

If so, I would warn against it, as it's bound to cause some serious file bloat, and seems more likely to me to lead to corruption. Also, it means keeping a careful record of what you've modified, lest you miss some code in a standard module or something (oh, wait, or does it just do everything that's been modified later than the object in the user's file--but wouldn't that catch everything or nothing, depending upon who had most recently compacted their database?).

Using a batch file means that the entire mde (or mdb) is copied over to the PC. This is more traffic across the wire, it's true. But I would bet that it runs in pretty close to the same amount of time, as there is no loop, and all the code is dos commands.

Give me a couple of days to get the new web pages up (I might actually get to it this evening, but I'm wary of promising that), and then check out my method.

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace

Take a look at the Developer's section of the site for some helpful fundamentals.

OK, the new pages are up now, so feel free to take a look and let me know what you think. =============
Jeremy Wallace

JeremyNYC

been there. done that. long ago & far away. didn't like it then (and there). don't like it here (and now).

actually, it was the network 'cops' who REALLY hated it (but the 'transference' of the 'ill will' was straight to me.

Of course it was a large "work group" with up to ~ 75 concurrent users (average was ~ 20 to 25) and it was a 'busy' db. Since it was a high profile app for the business, there were a lot of changes. Approved changes were implemented almost daily, and could be as simple as a repositioning of a control or as complex as the addition of tables with their attendant form(s) and report(s). I do not really even understand your comment re corruption.

If you app(s) are more or less static, I suppose the batch copy could be effective.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Nope, I roll out new versions regularly, with no complaints. I've got about 20 people who use the application all day every day. The process isextrememly smooth, and no one has had a problem with the network traffic at all.

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace

I use a batch file as well to distribute my FE each time the user starts the db and have never had a problem. I don't even wory about version comparison, I just do it every time. Works very well with about 6 users full time and 30 users on occasion.

Autoeng

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back