Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

distorted crackly sound from burned audio cds

Status
Not open for further replies.

ando57

Technical User
Apr 25, 2003
GB
I have a customer who has a new HP desktop T190.uk, he is using a 'samsung cd-r/rw sw-248f' to record with and using the Veritas 'Record Now' software to burn with.

The problem is that when he burns music or audio it comes out crackly and distorted

I played an original cd from his other drive through the speakers on his computer perfectly

I capped his record speed right down at 4x and attempted to make an exact copy

The original sounds fine but the burned copy sounds terrible

The fact that the original sounds fine tells me that the problem lies in the recording software, or the device

Any Ideas more than welcome

What are you using for CD media?? Try different makes of media.

Try with another burning software like nero and see if you get an improvement.

Actually I had the exact problem with my wife's cd. The original played perfectly but the copy was horrible sounding. It turned out not to be the software or hardware but rather the cd itself! Check to see if there are any scratches on the original disc, if so get it resurfaced! This worked like a charm for us!

But only do this after checking out the cd media and the software as pionted out by CSCWheels and franklin97355!

Cheers

Thanks for the ideas guys,

I will get the customer to download some free burning software to see if 'Record Now' is causing the problem and have a closer look at his original cds as well.

Regards,

Jeff

My buddy had this problem and it turned out to be a worn/faulty mechanism in the burner. The crackling became worse as the recording progressed, indicating a mis-alignment in the tracking mechanism. The unit had to be replaced as neither the armature nor the lens systems could be adjusted.

Email me! denodave@yahoo.com
Real men pray...especially techies!

I tend to agree with you 'denodave' but I'll give the customer a call and check out the cds they are trying to copy as well

thanks guys

There is also another possibility...

go to the Systemproperties - mulimedia and check under Audio CD and see if there is a check box which lets you toggle between Digital and Analog mode for CDROM drives... uncheck digital make it analog...

try this and see if it alleviates the problem...

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back