Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distint Select & Count Across Tables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkSmith99

Technical User
Mar 20, 2008
GB
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help with a issue I am having.

I have 2 tables set-up as below, both tables contain NumID and I need a statement that will take select the distinct NumID's (as it maybe in there more than once) from table1 then count how many times the same NumID appears in Table2.

I also need the statement to show the rest of the columns in table1 to in the results if possible.

Code:
[b]Table1		Table2[/b]

NumID		NumID
Date
Item
Item2

I have spent several hours trying to get this to work but being new to t-sql I'm struggling.

Any help would be great thanks in advance.

Mark

try this..

Code:
select distinct a.NumID, count(b.NumID)NumID_Count
from Table_1
left join Table_2
on a.NumID = b.NumID
group a.NumID

I also need the statement to show the rest of the columns in table1 to in the results if possible.

DISTINCT command gives you only unique records based on the columns you have defined.

Column list (NumID,Date,Item,Item2) is NOT unique, qry returns duplicate records.

if the column list is unique, you could add other fields like this,

Code:
select distinct a.NumID,a.Date,a.Item,a.Item2 count(b.NumID)NumID_Count
from Table_1
left join Table_2
on a.NumID = b.NumID
group a.NumID

First you have a requirements problem. If you have multiple records in table1 for an id, then when you show the other fields how do you determine which record to choose?

"NOTHING is more important in a database than integrity." ESquared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back