Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distinctive ring on 3Com 5610A int V90 under Win XP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

srguru

Technical User
Dec 17, 2001
US
Have installed 5610A on a Win XP single machine, using both WinFax Basic 10.02 and WinFaxPro 10.02, both of which are supposed to be XP compatible. I was assured by 3Com tech support before purchase that the modem does support distinctive ring and is XP compatible. I cannot get any software to recognize that the modem supports distinctive ring, although the XP software itself does show it as supporting it when queried. I have tried to upgrade the modem firmware itself to V 92 from the WebSite, but the upgrade software itself is not designed for XP, and the communication software that came with the modem does not function under XP. Can you help, or is there any software available which will allow me to run this modem under XP and use distinctive ring?

The modem supports and functions fully in XP , but xp itself does not soupport it.

I too have this problem, I have searched everywhere and no results in finding a 3rd party driver to support "distinctive ring" in XP and a 3com 5699A modem. Does anyone out there have any solutions.

Thanks

Mike

please reply to: f9_man@yahoo.ca

I too have had this same problem using Win98, a usr 56k pci modem 2977, and winfax pro 10. I tried all the fixes symantec suggested, but no luck. Any suggestions?

More info: I believe the problem is related to the factory default settings turning off the distinctive ring feature. When ATS41=1 is entered in hyperterminal, the modem will recognize the distinctive ring(RING B). Adding ATS41=1 in the control panel modem extra settings doesn't seem to "activate" the modem to recognize the distinctive ring(RING) without manually entering the line in Hyperterminal. Any suggestions to always make it recognize the distinctive ring? The second issue may be resolved when the first is solved: the distinctive ring section is dimmed in winfax pro, but works in the control panel, modem settings. I have tried Symantec's fix of changing the distinctive ring setting in the registry, but the section still remains greyed out in the winfax software. Help, what now?

dcov: I went through precisely the same steps that you just suggested before I posted the question to begin with, and am glad that you seemed to also think this was a logical approach. I do have one suggestion that will work if you can get your local telephone service to cooperate - ask them to set your NORMAL RING (VOICE CALL) TO ANYTHING OTHER THAN ONE LONG RING AND YOUR SECONDARY (FAX OR DATA CALLS) TO ONE LONG RING. Then your modem will respond to only your secondary without any special setting at all, but will not respond to more than one ring. This is not a solution for me, because here in St. Louis they either cannot or will not do this. If you can find a way to program the registers once, in any apparatus, you can keep that setting permanently.

dcov: further thought. If you can use hytperterminal to add the S1=41 you can also use it to add a command to the initialization string that calls up the last saved version of the ROM on the modem. (It may be a "w" command which permits you to choose which of two or three strings to load on power up). This would make "permanent" the S1=41 (at least until you change it back". You might actually try this and let us all know.

dcov:

Now that I have reread your messages, I notice that you said you had a problem with A Win 98. There has long been a USR fix for that, involving changing an ini file and/or the registry to modify or add Ring A and Ring B. If you are still interested in solving the Win 98 problem, let me know and I'll try and find it.

Has anyone tried all this with the very latest incarnation of XP?

I have not installed the Service Pack yet, but I didn't find anything in the documentation that addressed this problem. Think it may solve the issue?

The 5610A is supposed to be upgradeable to the 5610B, which will (supposedly), in fact, support DR under XP. I have been unable to download the upgrade from the USR site. In addition, USR has consistently said that this problem was inherently due to XP, which they expected would eventually address it. If I still had the problem (I do not personally run XP because of these kinds of things) I would call USR tech support, who have been supportive in trying to solve the problem and should know if XP will now work, or can tell you how to upgrade the modem via software to the later version. In addition, Symantec, which sells WinFax, should be able to specify a modem which will work with their 10.02 version and DR. Bottom line is that new XP may work, but if it does not mention this in the documentation the odds are not too good. Good luck, and share with us if you find out anything.

Been having the same problem (though a different modem) and I can assure you that even with the latest updates and SP1 installed, windows XP does not support distinctive ring natively.

I have an ISA sportster 56K fax/voice/speakerphone modem. I can get the Disctinctive Ring feature to work with selected applications. You need to add the ATS41=1 initializer in the application. It will not work in Winfax Pro Version 7,8,9. I have use Ventafax and Communicate i2000 both in Windows NT and 2000. Ventafax is shareware and recognizes the distinctive ring perfectly.

srguru

Hi, I was wondering if you could elaborate on the WIN98 Distinctive ring fix.

I am using a USR 2977 with winfax 9.0 and I can't get it to recognize the distintive ring. As a matter of fact, the distintive ring section in winfax is greyed out. I found the supposed fix for that envolving going into the registery and manually turning it on, which I did (decimal, change value to 1), but every time I open up the message manager it is still greyed out, and when I go look in the registery, the distinctive ring has reverted back to hexdecimal and 0.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello:

I have an ESS56T PI data fax voice modem that indicates it supports distinctive ring, but in looking for a fax program, neither bitfax or Venta (which both showed up in my keyword search)would accept the ring. Spiko noted that he had success with Venta - I tried it and found it sporadic. Any suggestions on how it could be set to work would be appreciated. I am using Windows 98.

Thanks! People and Ideas

Windows NT, 2000 and XP DO NOT SUPPORT DISTINCTIVE RING. Please refer to the Symantec site, click support and search for distinctive ring - this information will be confirmed there in detail.

Has anyone yet found a solution for distinctive ring services unavailable in WinFax 10.0 in Win98? (Greyed out dialogue box enabling distinctive ring, and manually changing distinctive ring feature in registry reverts to "0")

Thanks,

Ted

Ladies and/or Gentlemen,

I, too, have been trying to get a USR 5699B modem to recog-
nize Distinctive Ring but ignore a standard ring using
WinXP. I'm currently trying to do this via BVRP PhoneTools
(v. 2.3) and using the BVRP supplied RINGS.INF file which
swaps the cadences for a standard ring and a second (RING
C) distinct ring following the advice of BVRP Support.
But I'm about to give up, since I've talked to BVRP support
about 4 times now, still don't have a solution and have not
received very credible replies to some of the questions that
I've asked them. [For the record, using a similar setup,
but with WinME or Win98, I could not get the modem to ignore
a standard ring using PhoneTools, but I had no problem with
WinXP Pro!]

*BUT* for those of you using WinFax Pro and Win XP you
should definitely take a look at the following site:
A Feb. 13, 2003 post by Kyle R lays out some registry hacks
(confirmed by later posts from others) that seem to fix the
DR problem with Win XP and WinFax Pro. Using these same