Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distinctive ring from TELCO stopped working on CICS upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulier

Technical User
Jul 21, 2004
CA
We subscribe to a distinctive ringing service (ident-a-call) from our telco. Our CICS running Version 2 software passed the distinctive ring pattern through to all handsets. When we upgraded to V6.1, the distinctive ring capability was lost. When we downgraded back to V2 software, the distinctive ring capability came back.

Did Nortel drop this feature in the software upgrade, or does anyone know if there is some programming sequence to activate this feature in the new release? The Norstar Handbook lists the CO-based CMS/CLASS feature of "Distinctive Ringing" as being available.

need more info ...
was the rel 2 a centrex software?

how is the CO giving disctintive ringing on what basis.

you can program the CICS to give a diff ring for external calls and internal calls ... if thats what you are trying to do ...(but limited to max of 4)

I'm not sure if the V2.0 software is Centrex or not. There is no notation to that effect.

Our telco is offering the distinctive ring pattern when someone dials a specific telephone number. There are two telephone numbers assigned to one physical telehpone line. When someone dials the first number, a standard handset would ring normally. When someone dials the second number, the handset rings two-short rings versus a longer "normal" ring.

We also have a 616 system that passes this CMS/CLASS information through to the handsets (i.e., the handsets all ring according to the TELCO's distinctive ring pattern). What we are trying to accomplish is to have the handsets pass through this distinctive ring pattern so our people can answer the phone according to the number that was dialed. We are trying to avoid using a ring detector as there is a delay that occurrs as the device is determining the ring pattern.

I understand your question, and can see that it does not pertain to Nortel’s internal DRP. I can tell you that as far as I see, there are no special programming steps required to accomplish your goal. I don’t know why the distinctive rings are not coming through. My only question is what version of the Norstar handbook are you referring to? (v9 only covers up to 6.0)

While the Norstar Handbook continues to hint at compatibility with Central Office 'Distinctive Ringing' (Ident-a-call), I don't believe the feature has been compatible since version 4.2 CICS and 5.0 MICS. Prior to those releases the different ring pattern from the C.O would be passed thru the KSU to sets.

v9 of the Handbook lists CO-based cms/class distinctive ringing as a feature for version 6.0 of the software - true. The promotional literature for the system also lists the same feature. I'm beginning to wonder if this change in the software was an accident on Nortel's part? I have attempted to contact them, but they keep referring me to our reseller. When I contacted our reseller, they suggested that the feature was dropped (without contacting Nortel and looking into it). . . . I didnt have a lot of confidence in this answer.

Does anyone on this list have access to Nortel Tech Support?

The type of switches that DHCINC mentions (I don't have experience with that particular brand) do actually work great. But there is one major downside for most customers... Caller ID does not pass through because the device "absorbs" the first ring to determine where to send the call, by the time the call is transferred to the KSU trunk the Caller ID data is long gone. If your client doesn't need Caller ID, this is a great solution however.

>>>>> Mike <<<<<

Paulier:

Please help me understand your comments about "Distinctive Ringing" passing through on the CICS version 2? Are you saying that the Norstar telephones will following the Distinctive Ringing patterns sent by the telco and ring like a single line phone would so that you can distinguish what number was dialed? This is the first that I've heard of this on the CICS and have looked through the installation manual and can't find anything that supports this. Can the LS/DS card interpret "Distinctive Ringing" patterns and in turn ring the telephones according? Am I understanding this correctly?? Thanks for the clarification!

Your understanding is correct. While the installer guide and system coordinator guide do not list CO based cms/class services except for caller id, the Norstar Handbook does list them (with DR5 software or higher);

"The following CO-based CMS/CLASS features also interact with NORSTAR to enhance NORSTAR's operation. . . . .Distinctive Ringing / Call Waiting (among others)"

We have tested and found Distinctive ringing to ring though Norstar systems of 616, CICS V 2.1, and CICS 4.2 running restricted software. We have also tested it on CICS running 6.2 software and found that it does not work (hence the reason for this post).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back