Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distinct ring on loudbell for Intercom call vs. incomming line ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbbikes

IS-IT--Management
Jul 13, 2004
US
I had a customer that moved out of their space rather suddenly. I got the call to come to the new location and install the system, wiring, paging, yata yata. No problem so far.

Customer has 3 lines all ring on all phones. They also have an AA that answers after 4 rings. Very basic greeting. Dial the extension you want or leave a message.

So they tell me they had a loudbell hooked up that rang when all three lines would ring. No problem there. I hook it up to an ext port. Program the lines to ring done. They then say that's great but when someone goes through the AA and dials 15 the bell would ring differently so they would know it was a call ringing the EXT and not an incoming line ringing.

There is a phone on 15 the extension dialed from the AA. I have tried the aux port under the set, tried a splitter in the port on the card. I can't for the life of me get the bell to ring differently between an intercom call or a line rining. I can't get access to the other building to see how it was wired. I guess I could try all the spare xt's till I get it?

Thanks,

KB

I bet they had (2) different bells. Each bell set to a different ring (you can usually change ring tones with switch-hooks on each bell). (1) bell programmed for the (3) lines and the other plugged to the aux. port of ext. 15. I am unaware of a bell that could distinguish between an incoming call and an intercom transfer. A call is a call to the bell. And with the Partner, you cannot change the ring type by extension, only by line. So, line 1 could ring different than line 2, etc. But ext. 15 couldn't ring different than ext. 14.

I'm not trying to get 14 to ring different than 15. I am trying to get one bell to ring differently when an incoming line rings, and then ring different when an intercom call rings to the extension.

I can't figure out how the hell the customer had this working before.

They calim that a single bell would ring on an incoming call, and also on an intercom call to ext 15. They say it would ring a distinct pattern on a line call and then another for an intercom call.

I'm starting to think the customer is full of BS at this point but don't want to use that excuse yet.

KB

With (2) bells you could accomplish this. I think I may have confused the point above.

If you plug (1) bell directly into an open extension port, say ext. 20. Then program all the inbound lines to ring on extension 20. This will cause this bell to ring anytime an inbound call comes in.

Then, set another bell's dip-switches to a different ring-tone. Connect this bell to the aux. port of ext. 15. Now when someone chooses ext. 15, it will ring with a different tone than the other bell which will ring for inbound calls.

It's not going to work with (1) bell though.

A bell will give distinctive ring. Incoming calls are a regular ring, Intercom calls are a ring followed by another short ring, and transferred calls are a ring followed by two short rings. Just like the ring-beep of a keyset. Listen on your butt set to confirm.

So how do I wire the bell in?

KB

If 15 was used in the original installation, I would use that, if that is what the customer had at the old location. Just moving the equipment should not have changed any programming. The loud ringer would connect to the T/R leads of the port where 15 appears. It should function the same as before unless you changed something in programming. The ringer on T/R will just follow the ring cadence of the station depending on the type of call.

If this is an ACS R3.0 or newer and has remote access, you could connect to it and download the translations, then print them out. Then you can review how the system is programmed.

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back