Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distinct count counts an extra one

Status
Not open for further replies.

aushia

Technical User
Oct 8, 2005
CA
I am using Crystal reports XI hitting a SQL database with one table

I am creating a manual cross table flat file source

need to do a simple count and distinct count by year

formula is

If {SPSS_TEMP.DischYear} = "0708" then ({SPSS_TEMP.Encounter#})

then I do a summary to get the count and then a summary for distinct count... I cannot change the formula to

If {SPSS_TEMP.DischYear} = "0708" then 1 else 0 then do a sum because I need to also do a distinct count...

Hope I was clear enough to get your help..thanks so much

Sorry my question is, for some reason the count adds "1" to the count every time am I missing something in my code??

Use a running total instead which evaluates

{SPSS_TEMP.DischYear} = "0708"

Just add that to formula button on RT wizard and select Distinct count from summary type.

Ian

Yeah, what Ian said. The reason you are getting an extra count is that your formula doesn't specify a THEN clause. If the DischYear = "0708" then you are getting an Encounter # and those are being counted. But if the DischYear is not equal to "0708" then you are getting a blank (or a null) and that gets counted as a distinct value.

If you placed the DischYear = "0708" in the report selection criteria, then you would only have the values that matched and the count / distinct count would work properly.

Thanks Mocgp but I need to do a manual crosstab and once I get this right for 2007 then the next column is 2008..I would do a crosstab through the wizard but this crosstab is more complex the next colume is the number of diagnostic tests, then the next column needs to be a calculation of the number of tests per patient then I need to do the next columns the same as 2007 for 2008 then do a calculation for the % variance ...so if I select on 2007 I can't do the rest of the crosstab...am I fighting a loosing battle...I am now messing around with running totals but that is not something I use too much

Instead of running totals, try the following. Create a formula {@null} by opening and closing a new formula without entering anything. Then change your conditional formula to:

If {SPSS_TEMP.DischYear} = "0708" then
{SPSS_TEMP.Encounter#} else
tonumber({@null})

You can then insert a distinctcount on this. If the encounter# is a string, remove the tonumber().

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back