Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distiller takes an inordinate amount of time to process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grafixgurl

Technical User
Oct 29, 2003
US
I'm having problems getting Quark 6 to automatically make .pdf's (it just crashes) so I'm saving my doc's as postscript files and openning Distiller 6.0 and using that to open my postscript file to convert it to a .pdf. I just had a real simple 4 panel invitation card which totalled 13mgs and it took the distiller over an hour to turn it into a .pdf!! Is it corrupt?

Hmmm - that does sound like a long time. Do you have a lot of fonts on your computer? Sometimes, it takes a while for Distiller to 'build its font table' the first time it is launched before it can actually distill.

I would suggest trying the process of distilling with another document. Try with something small, and time how long it takes, then without closing Distiller (just minimise it), change something small in your original document and then re-postscript and distill again. If it takes just a fraction of the time the first time took, it is probably a font cause.

Well, I closed down every font except for the ones used in the document. There are 4 pages in the document and the distiller got through the first three real quickly and then on the 4th page....its just stopped. Seems as if its still doing something and its not crashed, but there's no activity to be seen in the status/progress bar.

I do have alot of fonts on the computer and am using Suitcase 10.2

When you open Distiller (before opening the file you are going to distill), does it take a long time to build the font table? i.e. until you are able to even open the file to be distilled?

What's on that fourth page of the document that appears to cause Distiller to hang? I assume some sort of graphic? What format? What job options are you using for Distiller?

As you can see, lots of questions for you to answer, but to narrow the problem down, we need to know a lot more about what is happening.

Grafixgurl, I've had problems with Adobe 5 and 6 causing PC's to crash and distiller to take minutes and hours just like you talked about.

Check your resolution, open distiller and click Settings then Edit Adobe PDF settings. Even something like 600 DPI with the mixture of text, images and other page contents can cause distiller to die.

Craig

Hi grafixgurl... i know this is probably late but I had distiller 6 and quark 6 on a mac with osx 10.2.8 and it ran like a dog! Even on another faster (1.25Ghz mac is crawled. Couldn't find out why... but since going to jaguar 10.3 it screams, as well as everything printing related screamed too! Try pdfing a 3Gb spool file in about 5 minutes!!! I couldn't even do a 50Mb spool file before...you'd die waiting.
A whole new printing engine and loads of other cool enhancements... Go Panther!!!

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back