Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distiller Job Options change on their own 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoDawgs

MIS
Apr 1, 2002
US
I'm missing something, so I thought I'd bring it up here where people know more than I do. I have an Access database that that I'm creating reports in and then printing to the Distiller. Somehow while I'm printing, the Distiller is changing the Job Options from Screen Optimized to Press Optimized. I'm sure there's a reason for this (and a way to stop it), but I can't find it. Here's a step by step of what's happened.

1. Changed the Job Options to Screen Optimized
2. Printed a file to the distiller (checked to make sure that it was Screen Optimized...which it was).
3. Printed a different file to the distiller (checked to make sure that it was Screen Optimized...it wasn't).
4. Checked the current Distiller settings...they were back to Press Optimized.

This does not happen every time I run these reports, but seems to be limited to a few specific reports (happens about once every other week...the reports are all run daily). Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Kevin

Just to add to this...I'm using Distiller 4.0

I am working in Distiller 6 so I don't know if this will work for you. I made my job settings the Distiller default. I opened Distiller, did NOT open any documents, selected my job options and saved the settings with a name I could recognize easily, then quit Distiller. Now when I open a document in Distiller, it opens up with my job settings as the default and sticks with it until I change it to something else.

Thanks for the input...I actually just tried that on Friday...so far so good, but the problem with this situation is that it happens very randomly. It was occurring at one specific user's desk originally, so I thought it was just him messing with the settings and then not mentioning it...but now it's happened in other places (even to myself). Hopefully this will end the problem...thanks again.

Kevin

Kevin -

With Distiller 5, I could never get Job Options changes to "stick" if I entered them directly in Distiller. However, when I went to Start, Settings, Printers, and configured the Distiller "printer" there, the settings "stuck". Different behavior from what appeared to be the same dialogs.

John

Really? That's excellent, I'll do that...hopefully that will be the end of the problems. Thanks a bunch John.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back